Frequently Asked Questions


1. Where can I find materials to learn Cantonese?

There are a number of texts (most with tapes) available for purchase. A list of many of them can be found on the CLA Homepage under Selected References for Teaching Cantonese. Some have been reviewed in the CLA newsletter as well ( UCLA also maintains an extensive database of Cantonese learning materials (Language Materials Database ).


2. Is computer-based instruction available for Cantonese?

At the moment there is very little computer-based learning material available. Professor Peter C.Y Leung of U.C., Davis has developed some computer-based material for Cantonese pronunciation (U.C., Davis). The University of Arizona's Critical Language Series has recently published a CD-based beginning Cantonese course.


3. Are there summer institutes or study abroad programs for Cantonese?

The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. offers Cantonese study abroad at Jinnan Univeristy in Guangzhou. The New Asia/Yale-in-China Centre at the Chinese University of Hong Kong offers a wide variety of Cantonese courses. The other major universities in Hong Kong also offer Cantonese, as does Jinan University in Guangzhou (Cantonese Programs).


4. What institutions around the world offer Cantonese courses?

The CLA Homepage has a list of institutions that teach Cantonese. (CLA List of Cantonese Programs Around the World ). The Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA) also mantains information on Cantonese courses.


Return to the CLA home page